The finish on this rod was a little cold, so I hit it with
the hair dryer to warm it up and get it thin. That worked
well, but by the time I was done it was already getting pretty
"stringy". I think the heat application really reduced
the working time. The unfortunate side effect was that I think
this caused more bubbles to be trapped in the finish. Next
time I might have to finish a rod by mixing two separate batches,
the 2nd one half way through the process, in order to get
that pure-bubble free finish we all strive for (and is a lot
harder than they make it sound). Yes, I applied heat after
the finish job was complete. Even came back 15 minutes later
and popped the new bubbles that appeared. So it's either that
the finish cured to rapidly or I'm back to the old "doubting
the color preserver" problem.
On the upside, those diamond wraps are getting a bit easier
with all the practice. However, with the red thread on blue
blank, I found that even the really tightly packed threads
still showed some of the blank through them. Kinda looks like
what happens when insufficient color preserver is applied,
but looking closely I can see it's the blank showing through,
not the thread getting darkened. In other words, the red wraps
on blue may not be a good combination.
Another new thing, I'm trying Dave @ Creekside's method of
putting down a coat of finish over a black block of thread
PRIOR to adding the inscription. So after this rod has been
approved, I'll add the final inscription and another coat
of finish to the butt wrap to preserver the inscription. Haven't
done that yet, but in due time...
One final note, I tried a new method I came across where
the finish is applied to the wraps only..it DOES NOT bleed
onto the blank. I saw it in a book, it looked nice, tried
it and well, it's really easy.